by Manila Standard| July 6, 2023

More than a third of Filipinos reported difficulties in “meeting their financial needs based on their monthly earnings alone” amid high consumer prices, according to a market research company. Synergy Market Research + Strategic Consultancy president and chief executive Germaine Reyes said while inflation rate decelerated from a peak of 8.7 percent in January 2023, it remained elevated compared to the previous year’s.

The Philippine Statistics Authority said inflation in June settled at 5.4 percent.
“Despite the easing of pandemic restrictions and the reopening of businesses, inflation continues to hinder consumer spending,” she said. Reyes said to cope with high prices, Filipinos changed their spending habits and cut back on several expenditures.

“In fact, seven out of 10 Filipinos are expected to make cutbacks in household spending over the next 12 months if the contributory factors such as inflation will not improve,” she said during a briefing at Rockwell Club in Makati City.
Reyes said it is important for companies to keep prices steady to help Filipino consumers and entice them to spend more. “If we want to induce consumer spending, let us not raise our prices. About 36 percent are finding it difficult to meet their financial needs, and 51 percent are barely meeting their needs. So that’s a total of 87 percent,” she said, based on the results of the study by Synergy and YouGov.



UB 111 Paseo de Roxas Building, 111 Paseo de Roxas Makati City, 1226 Philippines

T: +632-8185890 | +632-8185899

E: Inquiries